Thursday 23 April 2020

Lockdown

Working from home should have given me some time to get out in the garage and clear away some of the junk so that I can get to the bike without climbing over crap.

Some is destined for charity shops and others to the recycling centre. But due to the coronavirus lockdown both are shut. Helpful? Not very.

My search for a "new" John Storrie to fix the bike stalked a bit. 

John had said that if the engine was okay and the crankshaft oil seals were okay it would be a relatively simple job to do the carbs and a tidy up. Budget about £800.

If it needed the engine out and the crank sorting, then look at £1500 to £2000. He would need to get another guy called Barry or Phil to do that as he wasn't strong enough any more.

I haven't found Barry but I have found Philip through the GT750 Owners  Facebook page.

Having been blackballed from the Kettle Club years ago I have been loathe to associate with other Kettle owners other than John. It's all old news anyway.

I put a note on asking for assistance. Loads of blokes recommended Philip Jones.

He dropped me a note on  Messenger and we had a good exchange.

I said I wanted a mechanically sound bike. I wasn't interested in a show winning spec gleaming  level but one I could go out, start and have no fear riding to Austria!

On my retirement list I thought of shipping the bike, Rocket or whatever I have in summer 2022, to the US and having fun. Maybe Route 66! PCH? 

Instead that budget would be better placed on getting the Kettle fixed.

With the lockdown end still nowhere in sight I have time to clear the garage and get the bits together that I already have in stock.

Philip has quoted around £2k to take it to him and then ride away when finished.

I have to get it there. So maybe a weekend when I can enlist my brother's help and hire a van. 

Things are on the up.

No comments:

Post a Comment