Tuesday 11 August 2020

Kettle Club

I rejoined the Kettle Club yesterday.

I missed being one of the "Standlake Few" as I was a national officer of the Suzuki Owners Club. The official line was that the club was opposed to the formation of a new club at what had been published as an SOC camping weekend. Rather than it being a problem, I didn't attend.

Up to then I had been involved in the setting up and publicity for the "Kettle Run" along with my dear departed friend John Storrie. 

I was the SOC magazine Editor and John was membership secretary and technical officer. We had been two of the four people that took over running the SOC at an EGM at the Cross Keys in Pulloxhill in 1983. The others being David Greenhalgh as Chair and Graham Walker as Secretary. 

John was the "face" of the "Kettle Run" events mostly held at the National Motorcycle Museum and once at Didcot Railway Museum. The latter less successful.

From humble beginnings with around ten bikes we soon had as many as a hundred one year.

I joined the Kettle Club later and was given membership number 0027.

That membership lapsed as things Kettle took a back seat in my life. 

And now I have signed up again as part of Project Kettle.


No comments:

Post a Comment