Monday 19 April 2021

Charging problem!

I had a look under the left sidepanel.  None of the connections or block connectors seemed to be not fully engaged.

I pulled one out under the voltage regulator to check the connections. They used to be called spade/blade connectors, but no doubt they have other names. They are in two pairs and one of them looked as though the blade was shorter than the other three.  This has the green wire attached. From the back I pushed the connector back so it looked the same length as the others and pushed the block back into the socket.

I have an idea that it was this block that blighted the trip from UK to Czech in 1992! About half way across Germany, I guess when the battery was flat then the problems started. On that occasion it had been pushed in and one of the spade/blades had been bent and missed the connection.

Anyway, I started the bike using the kick-starter as there wasn't enough juice to use the electric starter and it fired up. I turned on the lights and the indicators and the engine didn't splutter at all. 

I am working today and so I'll try and get out for a short ride later on today or tomorrow. I might even drop in the petrol/gas station and fill up again to see what consumption looks like a running-in revs!

No comments:

Post a Comment