Tuesday 13 April 2021

Peek Metal Polish

After slogging away with a tube or two of Solvol Autosol and making very little impact on the surface rust. I had a look on some forums and apart from "loyblox" there were few  alternatives. Then I saw Peek mentioned.

I bought a tin on Amazon Prime. I know we should shop locally but we are after all still in lockdown until June with only partial let offs!

Oddly in this day and age it comes in a tin with a lever off lid.  This seems to be a bad point according to the Amazon reviews.  


However, I don't have a problem with that.

With tubular metal I tend to use a method involving smearing a small area with the polish, And then with a thinnish, maybe two inch strip of cloth, I saw back and forth, like lighting a fire with a stick.  


Except instead of using a bow, I hold both ends of the cloth and work the paste into the chrome. I doubt this is original but it works for me. 

My only "talent" when at school and doing metalwork class was making rings.  Any size from  copper or "gilding metal" from a girlfriend's finger (she was unimpressed!) to larger rings like napkin rings! either highly polished with a beaten effect.

Peek is not as thick as Solvol so it is easier to spread across the area to be polished. It seems to work pretty well too. There is also a smell very reminiscent of pee.

I decided to test it on the Rickman rack. There is a lot of surface rust. I took before and after pics of one section.

Before

After

Not quite the same angle of dangle but with only about ten minutes of polishing the difference is marked.

I then moved to the handlebars and mirrors.  Neither were anywhere near as pitted as the rack and so they came up pretty well. Shiny!

The next job is to get out and finish the rack. Then move onto the rear mudguard and the chainguard.

From the photo above you can see chainguard is really manky. Oily and quite disgusting.


No comments:

Post a Comment