Sunday 24 July 2022

Kettle Club Rye Meet - July 24th

My first stop was Jo's Café at Brookland. I was going to have breakfast with a couple of fellow Meldrews'. 

In the event there was only Ian J on his 1250GS that made it and then we were joined by his friend Dee on her BMW.

So I was late setting off and arrived at the biker parking in Rye about 1115 instead of 1030!

I did pass the guy taking photos for bikerpics and saw he got a few of me from the right side.

The lot was packed. I met a few Kettle owners from the Autumn meet and had a chat.

Then I was approached by Ed B. I haven't seen him since the maybe the 1980's when he was the guy running the Kent Centre SOC.  He has recently got a surprise gift from his wife of a completely restored A model. It's the work of Peter Omerod. It is truly stunning. It's probably better than new. New parts that are probably better than when they made the bike in 1976.

I spent too long chatting that I forgot to take any photos myself.

Photography by Ed Bannock 


I had also set Yamaha My Ride only on the first leg to Jo's.



On the way back I followed Ed and he got a bit ahead on the A259 to Brenzett. I got stuck behind a farmer in a tractor towing what looked like a hay baler. A wide load to boot.

When I finally got past Ed was gone. Not even the smell of two-stroke hanging in the air ..

It meant I arrived by bikerpics man a little too quickly. Like Fabio Quarteraro I lent the old girl into the 90° right hander... Okay maybe not that gung-ho... I hope the photographer caught the action!!

(Once the photos are online I'll have a look and maybe share!)

I caught Ed at Brenzett and followed him as far as Dymchurch before traffic and then the pedestrian lights held me up. Ed had gone.

I stuck to the limit all the way home. 

Suzi ran very well. I resisted the temptation to top up the tank to see what mpg I was getting after some smooth riding and gentle acceleration.

Next time then. When will that be? September 4th 2022.





No comments:

Post a Comment